Growing up in the 90s was pretty harsh for me. My parents would work all the time, so I would be left at home with nothing available to keep me entertained other than watching anime and learning about japanese culture. Cartoons and Anime got me through my teenage years. So when I hear the genre of city pop, it reminded me of sharing late nights with my brothers while we watch anime on tv.
I’m a sucker for nostalgia.
When I am at work, citypop is my go to playlist to rock out in the background while I get daily tasks completed. It puts a rush of nostalgia for me and allows me to focus on my work.
Here is a list of some of my favorite songs from the genre of City Pop:
- Stay With Me – Miki Matsubara
- Remember Summer Days – Anri
- Telephone Number – Junko Ohashi
- Plastic Love – Mariya Takeuchi
- Magic Ways- Tatsuro Yamashita
- Sparkle – Tatsuro Tamashita